BUILDING HEALTHY HABITS FOR THE KIDDOS
1) Start their day with a healthy breakfast, please no sugary cereals for our babies! A healthy breakfast such as fruit and whole grain cereal or oatmeal will help them be alert in school.
2) Pack their lunch bag with water, fruits, vegetables, yogurt, whole grain bread, healthy cheese and if you must pack juice, use ONLY 100% Juice.
3) Walk to school if possible, take this time to bond and get exercise at the same time for you and your child/children.
4) After school, turn of the TV, put the video games aside or at least limit them. TV watching and playing video games usually means sitting on the couch and snacking. Take them outside instead and dribble the basketball with them or jump rope with them, anything to keep them physically active, make sure you make it FUN!
5) Prepare a tray of healthy snacks and put on the table. Cut up some celery, broccoli, carrots, cucumbers, strawberries and place on tray with, humus, almond butter etc. As they go about their day, they can munch on these instead of grabbing the chips and cookies in the pantry, speaking of which, if you don't buy them, they won't eat them.
6) See to it they get enough rest and sleep. A growing child needs 10-12 hours of sleep. Lack of sleep can cause irritability, bad tempers, difficulty paying attention, delayed response, decreased short term memory and inconsistent performance in school. Say a prayer with your little one(s) and kiss them good night!
, KAT Johnson, CPT, FNE